Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Act That Changed It All

By Jaden



There are a lot of different people in this world who do good things, bad things, incredible things, heart warming things, and in my case, something that will change a person’s life forever. That’s exactly what a family did for me. On October 10, 2003 in the Hunan province of Chang De, China, a baby girl was born. Unfortunately, for some reason, her parents were unable to care for her and she was later found abandoned at the police station. It could be because, in China, there was a law that every couple could only have one child, or pay a massive fine or even be arrested. China is known for having the largest population in the world; 7.4  billion people. It is also known for having the biggest adoption program in the world. Since the population is so large, the government put great pressure on parents to keep their families small, which forced many to put their second child up for adoption. Most of the parents couldn’t afford to pay the fine or go to jail. The government monitored the families and enforced the law, meaning parents had no choice but to give up all their children except for one, usually a boy who could work on the farm.
That little girl who came into this situation in 2003 is someone I know very well; me, who had been given the name Chang Shuang Ying. I spent a year and two months in a government run orphanage. Looking back, I can tell that, if I had stayed in the orphanage, I would  have had very little opportunity for a loving family and a happy life.
On December 8, 2004, that all changed. A family from America, known as the Eichers, came to adopt me. Even though the video showed me screaming my head off, this would turn out to be the happiest day of my life. A whole new world was awaiting me. The act that my new family did really changed my life by giving me hope for a bright future.
In the present, I’ve learned a lot about China; such as how there aren’t as many opportunities as we have here in America. Kids our age are working in factories, making toys and other products, and lots of the children at a young age work on farms  instead of going to school, playing with friends , or spending time with family.
I have a beautiful house with my own bedroom. I’m able to take private singing lessons that help me earn amazing roles in theater productions. Also, I’ve studied many different styles of dance, such as ballet and tap. I love traveling to different places, like Florida, where I swim in the clear blue ocean, going under big waves, and boogie boarding on top with my funny loving dad. I probably would not be able to have these opportunities if I wasn’t adopted by an American family who I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment