Tuesday, January 26, 2016

My Secret Talent

By Annika Tuka
“What would you like for Christmas?” my dad asked me one cold winter day. 
“I want a real camera, like you and mom!” my six-year-old self exclaimed.  
With an amused look on his face my dad said ok and walked away.  Little did I know I would not be getting a camera anytime soon.  When I was younger I had always loved photography, and looking at beautiful pictures inspired me to take some of my own.  Sadly, everyone thought I was “too young” so that year I received a plastic, pink, princess camera.  I was sad and angry, “was I not a good enough photographer?” Finally in 2012, I received my first camera for Christmas, I was so happy and excited to start taking many pictures.  Over the years I practiced taking pictures determined to get better.
Photography has made me look at things differently.  I look at the simple things, for example trees, streets, cars passing, and make them look so beautiful in my mind.  I think everything would look beautiful in a picture.  Sometimes I wish that my eyes could take pictures, because sometimes I don’t have a camera on me to take a picture of that moment.  Eyes have a different perspective on things, they see and adjust better than cameras.  
Over a couple years, I practiced taking photos.  Even if they were bad, I would save them to look back on later.  I would search up photography tips and study about how to use a camera right, different perspectives, light and shadow, I practiced, determined to put all I had learned to good use.  Like everyone says, Practice makes perfect,’ this saying is old and cheesy but it is so true.  Being on different social media I have seen many photos, well taken, and not.  Looking at all those photos taken everyday inspired me to do the same.
I am not the best photographer in the world, nor am I the most educated, but photography is something that I love.  Photography has made me look at things differently and has helped me capture memories and moments in my life that I would never want to forget.  I know that every photo that I take I will look back on in the future and remember every moment.  “Photography is the only language that can be understood anywhere in the world.”



No comments:

Post a Comment