Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mission Trip


By Alyssa Weil
    Up until four years ago I portrayed life like a fairy tale; everyone goes to college, gets married, then lives happily ever after. No problem right? When I went on a mission trip to Texas with my youth group when I was ten, I realized that there are kids out there who have more problems than failing a test or not getting what they wanted for Christmas or whatever. (Not that I was ever spoiled)
When we arrived in Texas the first thing I thought was “It’s so hot and humid and I just want to go home now." I found myself having a five minute pity-party, and by the number of bug bites I got during the week, I might as well have been a mosquito magnet! I look back now and I’m so glad I didn’t have the choice of coming back. Our first activity was that we spent a day entertaining a group of unfortunate kids who grew up on the streets and were either neglected and/or abused by their parents. The camp was at a church so they could play sports, games, and be educated in a safe environment. All the kids seemed way too independent and mature for their age, and had all been through a lot, especially some of the really young ones.
Although it was a different experience, I had a lot of fun playing soccer and volleyball, watching movies, and getting to know the kids. I became friends with a bright girl who was a little older than me, and asked “How do you stay positive even though you have been through so much and have so little?” She said “I’ve learned to take nothing for granted and instead of relying on other people for enjoying life, I try to stay optimistic about every opportunity that comes my way.” I let that sink in and felt that I should try to do the same.
    So besides the mosquitos, broken showers, and humidity, this trip was really fun and taught me some incredible life lessons. Our group did a lot more in Texas, including feeding the homeless, cleaning school busses, and at the end we rewarded ourselves with a trip to Six Flags. All of those experiences were amazing, but I learned the most from the girl I met at the camp. So whenever I have a problem come my way, I just think of her and try to see things in a different perspective. No matter where you start in life, you can always end on a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment